Now that it’s summer and the temperatures are rising, dehydration is something that’s a real threat, especially with Memorial Day around the corner and alcohol being consumed. You may not even realize you’re dehydrated because the symptoms tend to be common and contributed to other issues. Here are the common symptoms and how to avoid dehydration this summer.
If you like this post or know someone who might like this post, please give it a share! Shares, comments, and likes are what keep this blog running! Thank you! <3
Symptoms of Dehydration and How to Avoid It
The most common symptoms are headaches and having issues sleeping (mild dehydration symptoms). If you’re constantly getting headaches, it might not be stress or something serious. You might just need a few more glasses of water throughout your day. Next time you’re feeling a headache coming on, gulp down a glass of water to see if that helps.
Mild Dehydration (what you most likely experience)
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth
- Tired or sleepy
- Decreased urine output
- Urine is low volume and more yellowish than normal
- Dry skin
- Few or no tears
- Severely decreased urine output or no urine output. The urine, if any, produced is concentrated and a deep yellow or amber color.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness that does not allow the person to stand or walk normally.
- Blood pressure drops when the person tries to stand after lying down (low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension)
- Rapid heart rate
- Poor skin elasticity (skin slowly sinks back to its normal position when pinched)
- Lethargy, confusion, or coma
Ways to go about preventing dehydration
- Obviously, drink more water. Carry a water bottle with you everywhere and you’ll never have an excuse. Have a glass when you first wake up.
- Stop or lower your consumption of caffeine and alcohol. Both increase your dehydration
- Add more fruits and veg to your diet. Foods high in water content will help.
- If you’ve had a serious bender, grab some electrolyte-filling drinks like Gatorade or powerade
I love this water bottle! Check out my TJ Maxx Clearance haul to see the other great things I’ve bought.
Do you have any other tricks to keeping hydrated this summer? Let me know in the comments!